Sunday, June 11, 2017

Walk #6: Mini Vacation at the Bank of Florence

Address: 8502 N. 30th St.

Information: Bank of Florence Museum

Lunch: Bento Box #18

Destination Review: I have some childhood memories of Florence, since my primary care doctor was at the Florence Clinic when I was a kid. I was surprised that it still has the small-town feel that I remember.

The bank has been well-preserved.

The bank has a museum in it, but unfortunately, I was there on the wrong day, and it wasn’t open. I did get a picture through the window on the door, though.

This place is very aware of its history. It even produces melodramas. This made the walk feel like a mini vacation.

The Walk: Since I parked right next door to the bank, I didn’t get a lot of walking in, though I did walk all the way around it. Also, I got a lot of walking in at the Hy-Vee Drugstore next door, doing a mystery shop on obscure alcoholic beverages, which I had a hard time finding.

There was a charming little seating area with benches just outside the bank, perfect for eating my lunch, but I didn’t get a picture of it.

The Lunch: Mmmm…brownie!

Lunch Ingredient Deals:

Apple: Gala Apples were 78¢ lb. at Fareway. One apple was 35¢.

Baby Carrots: These were on sale at Aldi for 69¢ for a one pound bag. Subtract a 25¢ Allrecipes rebate and a 10¢ MobiSave rebate and they ended up being 34¢.

Baking Powder: Hearth Club Baking Powder is $1 at Dollar Tree.

Cherry Tomatoes: Got a package of San Maria Tomatoes at Fresh Thyme for the sale price of 99¢.

Chocolate Chips: A bag of Mill City Market Chocolate Chips is $1 at Dollar Tree. Eggs: There was a coupon in the Food Express section of Wednesday’s paper that got me a dozen eggs at Hy-Vee for 39¢.

Salt: I'm still using the Morton Salt I got for free with a Saving Star rebate, back when they used to do Friday Freebies.

Shredded Cabbage: A package of Dole Shredded Cabbage was on sale for 88¢ at Family Fare.

Sugar: A box of Domino Sugar is $1 at Dollar Tree.

Vanilla Extract: If you get lucky, you can get Spice Time Vanilla Extract for $1 at Dollar Tree.

Art Project: Embellished Frame

No comments:

Post a Comment

Walk #26: I Saw a Really Cool House with a Tower Across the Street from the Charles Storz House

Address: 1901 Wirt Street Information: Charles Storz House Lunch: Bento Box #10 Destination Review: This is another big, old house. ...