Sunday, July 9, 2017

Walk #10: A Long Walk Through Bemis Park

Address: Cuming Street on the south to Hawthorne Avenue on the north; Glenwood Avenue on the west to North 33rd Street on the east

Information: Bemis Park Landmark Heritage District

Lunch: Bento Box #4

Destination Review: Although the landmark is the whole neighborhood, I decided to focus on the park, which provided me with a long, lovely sidewalk trail to explore.

There was lots to see along the way, including beautiful old lampposts, a charming children’s play area that looked like a train, and a mother and child statue.

About halfway through the park, there was an interesting Informational sign about how the park system was originally developed in Omaha, complete with a vintage park map.

The Walk: The trail wound its way all through the park, which is several blocks long. I walked its entire length, making this one of the more ambitious walks I’ve taken (yes, I know I’m a lightweight).

At its end, you could go out onto Cuming Street and see the OPS Administrative Building, which used to be Tech High School, across the street.

There was a tunnel under the street that I was tempted to explore, but it was hot out, and I was too tired. I still had to walk all the way back along the trail to get to my car, and climb a flight of stairs.

The Lunch: The park provided a pleasant picnic shelter for me to eat my lunch at.

The pasta salad was made with a Betty Crocker mix, which isn’t exactly healthy, but the directions didn’t specify, and I had gotten the mix for free. It was yummy, and the hard boiled eggs were good dipped in the leftover dressing coating the box. The vegetable and fruit were edible, but not too enjoyable. The Skippy PB Granola Bites were a pleasant finish.

Lunch Ingredient Deals:

Broccoli: A broccoli crown was 97¢ at Fresh Thyme. A 25¢ Allrecipes rebate made it 72¢.

Eggs: A dozen Hy-Vee Eggs were on sale for 39¢. I used a 25¢/2 Hy-Vee Perks home mailer coupon to make them 2 for 53¢, or 29¢ a dozen.

Pasta Salad Mix: Betty Crocker Suddenly Salad Mix was a Friday Freebie digital coupon at Family Fare.

Art Project: Embellished Frame

No comments:

Post a Comment

Walk #26: I Saw a Really Cool House with a Tower Across the Street from the Charles Storz House

Address: 1901 Wirt Street Information: Charles Storz House Lunch: Bento Box #10 Destination Review: This is another big, old house. ...