Friday, July 14, 2017

Walk #11: Going by the Blackstone Hotel

Address: 302 South 36th Street

Information: Blackstone Hotel

Lunch: Bento Box #3

Destination Review: This one brings back childhood memories. The church my family went to when I was a kid, First Presbyterian, is just down the street from this destination.

We went there every Sunday, and every Sunday after church, we would drive down Farnham Street and go right by the Blackstone Hotel.

It has changed little from my childhood, still a bastion of elegance, though now it is an office building, rather than a hotel. I got some great pictures of its elegance from inside the lobby.

I also got pictures of some old vintage photographs of the hotel that were on the walls.

The Walk: My first order of business was to find a place to buy a cold drink to go with my lunch. It was raining and there was none nearby that I could see. So I walked in the rain to the Mutual of Omaha building, where I found a lunchroom for the employees that sold food and drink. I had my lunch at one of the tables there. That worked out well, because by the time I left it had stopped raining. I got the pictures above on the walk back to the Blackstone.

The Lunch: Cream cheese makes celery taste lots better. I just wasn’t fond of the peanut butter banana roll-ups. I packs the strawberries and blueberries in a container, but somehow forget to put them in my lunch bag. The cherry tomatoes were OK; the kind I get a Aldi are nice and sweet. The dark chocolate covered cashews were yummy:

Lunch Ingredient Deals:

Banana: That’s Smart Bananas were 49¢ lb. at Hy-Vee. One was 11¢.

Art Project: Embellished Frame

No comments:

Post a Comment

Walk #26: I Saw a Really Cool House with a Tower Across the Street from the Charles Storz House

Address: 1901 Wirt Street Information: Charles Storz House Lunch: Bento Box #10 Destination Review: This is another big, old house. ...