Tuesday, July 18, 2017

Walk #12: Lots to See at Boys Town

Address: 14100 Crawford Street

Information: Boys Town

Lunch: Bento Box #7

OK, there was lots to see here. I started out at the Hall of History.

Even before going in, I discovered a pretty little walkway with a fountain to take pictures of.

Inside the Hall of History, a very nice guide, when finding out that I was an art therapist, took me to a room where there were some delightful artworks made by some of the kids at Boys Town. Here’s only a small sample.

The Hall was a full-blown museum of the history of Boys Town, so there was a lot of great old stuff in it.

Including a touching sculpture of a homeless boy living in a box.

The Walk: I asked the guide where I could buy a cold drink, and she showed me on a map how I could get to the visitor’s center, which sells food and drink. It was all the way over on the other side of the campus, so that was my walk. The temperature was in the 90s, so it was exhausting, but I did get to see a lot of the campus that way.

At the Visitor’s Center, I got to see the World’s Largest Ball of Stamps.

They had lots of stamps and stamp collecting stuff in this area, including little pots of stamps that you could buy individually, a penny a stamp, on the honor system by depositing your pennies in a slot. While I was getting out my pennies, I dropped one on the floor. I decided to just leave it there, thinking a child might find it and use it to buy a stamp. This idea appealed to me so much I got out some more pennies and scattered them on the floor for kids to find to buy stamps with.

I must confess that on the walk back, I accepted a ride from a nice staff member who stopped and offered. But I did walk all the way out there.

The Lunch: I had lunch in the dining room of the Visitor’s Center. They had just closed the cafeteria, but they didn’t mind me having my packed lunch in the dining room, and I was able to buy a drink from a vending machine there.

Ranch dressing made the carrots and cucumbers taste better. Blueberries were OK. I like tortellini a lot, so that was yummy. Banana chips were OK, but I didn’t eat all of them.

Lunch Ingredient Deals:

Banana Chips: Got a bag of these for a buck at Dollar Tree.

Cucumber: Got one for 50¢ at Fresh Thyme. Minus a 25¢ Allrecipes rebate and minus a 10¢ MobiSave rebate, it was 15¢.

Marinara Sauce: Prego was on sale at Walgreens for 2 for $4, plus a buy one get one free promotion. I had 2 $1 off 1 coupons from the little Smartsource blinking light coupon dispenser you find on some store shelves, so that meant I got 2 bottles for free.

Art Project: Embellished Frame

No comments:

Post a Comment

Walk #26: I Saw a Really Cool House with a Tower Across the Street from the Charles Storz House

Address: 1901 Wirt Street Information: Charles Storz House Lunch: Bento Box #10 Destination Review: This is another big, old house. ...