Sunday, May 13, 2018

Walk #25: The Christian Specht Building: Omaha's Only Cast-Iron Buidling

Address: 1110 Douglas Street

Information: Christian Specht Building

Lunch: Bento Box #1

Destination Review: The Christian Specht Building is Omaha’s only building with a cast iron facade, which already makes it pretty great in my book. This is a building I would notice even if it wasn’t a landmark. And old Chris Specht even put his name at the top. How cool is that?

(By the way, that’s my car parked out front. It has served me well in visiting all these landmarks, so I thought I’d give it a kudos.)

Anyway, I got some pictures of some building details…

…some great brickwork on the side…

…and, to top it all off, the really cool logo of the Dearborn Foundry, where I assume the facade was originally cast.

The Walk: I wandered around near the Gene Leahy Mall, where I found a really cool metal sculpture of a face silhouette.

I ended up down by the Heartland of America Park, where I found a nice table to eat my lunch at.

The Lunch: I enjoyed this lunch a lot. Must be my Nordic blood. Lox and cream cheese on Wasa Crispbreads was yummy. I always like a hard boiled egg. And ranch dressing made the cucumber slices much better. I also threw in some Dove Chocolates for a treat, and those are always amazingly good.

Lunch Ingredient Deals:

Cucumber: Got one for 49¢ at Aldi. Subtract a 25¢ Allrecipes rebate and it was 24¢.

Egg: Got a dozen Goldhen Large Eggs at Aldi for 49¢

Art Project: Embellished Frame

No comments:

Post a Comment

Walk #26: I Saw a Really Cool House with a Tower Across the Street from the Charles Storz House

Address: 1901 Wirt Street Information: Charles Storz House Lunch: Bento Box #10 Destination Review: This is another big, old house. ...