Sunday, April 22, 2018

Walk #24: Charles D. McLaughlin's Boring Old House

Address: 507 South 38th Street

Information: Charles D. McLaughlin House

Lunch: Bento Box #3

Destination Review: Sorry, Charlie, your house is really dull.

The Walk: This was in the Gold Coast neighborhood, so there were some interesting things to see as I walked around the block, including a big rich person’s house with separate servant’s quarters…

…pretty planters on every corner…

…more cool Gold Coast bricks…

…some nice brick and stone work…

…and another view of the Blackstone Hotel, over some construction. I’ve visited so many landmarks now that I’m starting to notice landmarks I’ve already visited during my walks.

The Lunch: The chef’s salad was OK, with plenty of ranch. I love roasted baby potatoes. Kiwi and cantaloupe taste good together. And I again enjoyed my version of trail mix, which is a nut and seed mix I get at Dollar Tree mixed with peanut butter M & Ms.

Lunch Ingredient Deals:

Cantaloupe: An Athena melon was 48¢ lb. at Fareway, $2.98 total.

Cucumber: 49¢ at Aldi minus a 25¢ Allrecipes rebate = 24¢

Deli Ham: Carl Buddig Original Lunchmeats were 68¢ at Walmart. I bought 5 and used a $1 off 5 coupon from the 5-7-17 SmartSource insert. I also got a $1 Ibotta rebate for buying 4. Total was $1.40 for 5, or 28¢ per pack.

Eggs: A dozen Hy-Vee Grade A Large Eggs were on sale for 39¢ at Hy-Vee.

Kiwi: On sale for 33¢ at Hy-Vee.

Lettuce: A Hy-Vee Garden Salad was $1.49 at Hy-Vee. I used a 50¢ off 1 store coupon I got in the mail to make it 99¢.

Peanuts: I got a single pack of Munchies Peanuts for 50¢ at CVS.

Red Potatoes: I got 4 for 50¢ at Hy-Vee.

Ranch Dressing: Bolthouse Farms Ranch Dressing was on sale for $2.49 at Baker’s. I used a $1.50 off 1 Baker’s digital coupon, got a $1 rebate from Allrecipes, another $1 rebate from Checkout 51, and yet another $1 rebate from MobiSave, resulting in it being better than free.

Art Project: Embellished Frame

No comments:

Post a Comment

Walk #26: I Saw a Really Cool House with a Tower Across the Street from the Charles Storz House

Address: 1901 Wirt Street Information: Charles Storz House Lunch: Bento Box #10 Destination Review: This is another big, old house. ...