Sunday, April 1, 2018

Walk #22 1/2: I Nearly Get Squashed by Godzilla at the Omaha Pagoda!

Address: 3941 Ashwood Drive

Information: Omaha Pagoda

Lunch: Ice Cream & Bacon Bento

Destination Review: You probably are familiar with the big kerfuffle that happened about this a few years ago. A team of giant monsters wanted to destroy it, but the Omaha Landmark Heritage Commission intervened, and the legal battle was intense. So thanks to the OLHC, this is still standing, though it's a little hard to find.

I got a good picture of it from across the street, near the Piercing Pagoda.

I have to say there were some really interesting vehicles in the parking lot.

Inside, I had to use the restroom, and I was impressed with their facilities.

After emerging from the bathroom, I was greeted by a friendly robot guide, who offered to take me straight to the top.

The Walk: Just like in Hummel Park, I walked all the way to the top of this thing, even though the stairs were forbidding.

At the top, I got a good view of Union Station and the Bekins Van & Storage Sign.

Back at home, I saw on the news about Godzilla destroying the pagoda. Darn! I miss all the good stuff. I missed seeing the Wienermobile, too!

The Lunch

Mmmmm! Ice cream!

Lunch Ingredient Deals

Bacon: 50 lbs. was only $23.98 at Costco! What a steal!

Asparagus: Got it for free by stealing it from my neighbor's garden.

Velveeta-Wrapped Bacon: OK, I admit it; Kraft paid me to review it. See review above.

Red Jawbreaker: Only a penny down at the corner candy store.

Seaweed Snacks OK, $50 plus shipping from Japan Direct is kind of pricy, but I don't skimp when it comes to seaweed snacks.

Cauliflower: I only needed one floret, so I broke one off and managed to talk the Hy-Vee manager into letting me buy it for a quarter. That way, it was FREE after a 25¢ Ibotta rebate.

Weevils: No comment.

Ice Cream: Reed's was having a 50¢ per slice sale, so I saved big, in 1930s dollars at least.

Chocolate Sprinkles: Only a buck at Dollar Tree.

1 comment:

Walk #26: I Saw a Really Cool House with a Tower Across the Street from the Charles Storz House

Address: 1901 Wirt Street Information: Charles Storz House Lunch: Bento Box #10 Destination Review: This is another big, old house. ...