Tuesday, March 6, 2018

Walk #21: I Climbed Some Stairs Somewhere in the Vicinity of the Cabanne Archeological Site!

Address: J. J Pershing Drive & Hummel Road

Information: Cabanne Archeological Site

Lunch: Bento Box #4

OK, first let me get something off my chest. How can something be a LANDMARK when it's in a SECRET LOCATION??

Yet this is what I read on Wikipedia about the Cabanne Archeological Site. OK, I guess I get that they don't want people messing with their archeological dig, but maybe have it designated a landmark AFTER you're done digging rather than before?

But because I'm a completist, I have to do the best I can with this. So. Apparently the Cabanne site is near the site of an old fort named Fort Lisa. And a little research on Fort Lisa reveals that it was somewhere in the vicinity of Hummel Park. So off to Hummel Park I go.

When I get there and find a place to park, I see a very old-looking set of stone steps.

So now I have my work cut out for me.

The Walk: Let’s talk a bit about exercise again, shall we? Did I mention that I hate to exercise? Did I mention that this project is all an elaborate ruse to get me to exercise?

I start climbing the old stairs.

After getting to the top of the initial stairs, I see more stairs. LOTS more stairs.

It’s July, so it’s very hot. The stairs are uneven and climbing them makes my hips hurt. I am in such bad shape that I have to stop every few steps and catch my breath.

To add to my humiliation, two teenage boys appear and run straight up the stairs like it was nothing.

But do I turn around and go back? NO. I HAVE to see what is at the top of these stairs!

Back to exercise: I don’t know how many stairs there were, so we’ll just call that value X. If you had put me in a gym on a Stairmaster and said, “OK, Christine, you have to climb X steps,” do you think I would have done it? NEVER! NEVER IN A MILLION YEARS!!

But because this was part of my grand Art Project, I did it! I climbed up ALL those stairs, even though it made me feel like my heart was going to jump out of my chest and sweat was rolling off me in gallons. Because this was my personal adventure, and I HAD to see what was at the top.

So what was at the top? A picnic shelter, perfect for eating my lunch in!

I call the Omaha Walks Project a RESOUNDING SUCCESS!!

The Lunch: I didn’t make a cute little face on my salad like in the source picture, but it was pretty good anyway. The blueberry bread was delicious. The honeydew melon added sweetness to the strawberries, making this a good combination.

Lunch Ingredient Deals:

Bananas: That’s Smart Bananas were 31¢ at Hy-Vee.

Carrots: A 1 lb. bag of organic carrots was 99¢ at Fresh Thyme.

Cucumber: 50¢ at Fresh Thyme minus a 25¢ Allrecipes rebate equals a quarter.

Greek Yogurt: A Chobani Greek Yogurt Cup was 78¢ at Fareway.

Lettuce: A Little Salad Bar Garden Salad was 89¢ at Aldi.

Shredded Cheddar Cheese: Crystal Farms Shredded Cheese was $2.69 at Hy-Vee and on buy one get one free sale. So I bought 4 bags for $5.38 and used a $1 off 3 coupon from the 6-4-17 SmartSource insert, making them $4.38. I got 2¢ off per gallon in Fuel Saver Rewards for each bag. I multiply my Fuel Saver discount by 10, because my car holds about 10 gallons per fill-up. So I got 40¢ in Fuel Saver Rewards for the 4 bags, making them about $4 total, or $1 per bag.

Artwork: Embellished Frame

No comments:

Post a Comment

Walk #26: I Saw a Really Cool House with a Tower Across the Street from the Charles Storz House

Address: 1901 Wirt Street Information: Charles Storz House Lunch: Bento Box #10 Destination Review: This is another big, old house. ...