Sunday, May 14, 2017

Walk #2: Ansonia Apartments?

Address: 2221-23 Jones Street

Information: Ansonia Apartments

Lunch: Bento Box #12

Destination Review: This one was hard to find. I couldn’t find Jones Street from 24th Street, so I went over to 20th Street on Harney and went south. There I found that Jones Street was essentially an alley, but I found a big old apartment building, so I parked my car there and looked around. I went up to the front of the building and found this:

What a lovely courtyard! It wasn’t until I got to the end of it and took lots of pictures that I found out it wasn’t the Ansonia Apartments, but Drake Court Apartments. I eventually ended up at a locked gate.

So I had to walk around the last building to get further down Jones Street. There I saw a bunch of old buildings in sad shape, but still being rented out as apartments, and a bigger old building at the end of the block. That building had a sign identifying it as the “Anderson Apartments”.

It also had this sign on it:

So I think that’s the place I was looking for, but I’m not completely sure. It is an attractive old building, but not nearly as cool as the Drake Courts. And what was depressingly obvious was how poor a neighborhood this is.

It’s too bad some of these landmarks are in areas of such poverty, but then it’s also too bad that our society condones such poverty.

The Walk: Walking through the Drake Courts, which involved climbing several flights of stairs, walking around the building to get to Jones Street, and walking down to the Anderson Apartments, then walking back to my car gave me a fair amount of exercise, as well as lots of pictures.

The Lunch: I settled down on the front steps of Drake Courts to have my lunch and this time, I was able to take a nice picture of it.

And then I discovered that I forgot to fetch my drink from the car, so I had to go back to my car to get it, and then just ate it in the car, rather than go back to the steps. Yes, I know that’s rather lazy, but I never said I liked moving around; that’s the whole point of this project. So, anyway, the lunch. The chicken and avocado sandwich was OK, the egg muffin was all right (I had a couple for breakfast, too, after making them), the carrots were as expected and the peanut butter bite was just like it was for Lunch #1. I packed two sandwiches, but only ate one, because it was actually pretty filling. That’s a good thing, since I’m trying to eat less overall.

Lunch Ingredient Deals

Avocado: Got one for 88¢ sale price at Hy-Vee.

Carrots: Baby carrots were on sale at Aldi for 69¢ for a 1 lb. package. Combined with a 25¢ Allrecipes rebate and a 10¢ MobiSave rebate, they were 34¢

Eggs: One dozen for 59¢ at Aldi

Peanut Butter: Skippy 16 oz. jars were on sale for 98¢ at Hy-Vee. Combined with a 55¢ off 2 jars coupon from peanutbutter.com and I got 2 for $1.41, or 71¢ per jar.

Red Bell Pepper: A 3-pack of red, yellow & orange bell peppers was on sale at Aldi for $1.69. Take off a 20¢ Allrecipes rebate and they were $1.49, or 50¢ each.

Turkey Bacon: Got Butterball Turkey Bacon at Walgreens for $1.29 minus a 55¢/1 coupon from butterball.com minus a 40¢ Allrecipes rebate on bacon, making it 34¢

Vanilla Extract: This is occasionally available at Dollar Tree.

Whole Wheat Bread: I was hoping to find Nature’s Own Whole Wheat Bread at Dollar Tree, but no luck this time. However, my coupon said “bread or buns” and they had the whole wheat hot dog buns, so I got those instead. $1 minus a 55¢ off 1 coupon from the 4-30-17 SmartSource inserts, and I got the buns for 45¢

I will leave you with some charming pictures of sidewalk art from Drake Courts:

Some kids still play hopscotch, it seems.

Godzilla is attacking the city!

A lovely bit of abstraction.

Artwork: Embellished Frame

No comments:

Post a Comment

Walk #26: I Saw a Really Cool House with a Tower Across the Street from the Charles Storz House

Address: 1901 Wirt Street Information: Charles Storz House Lunch: Bento Box #10 Destination Review: This is another big, old house. ...