Sunday, May 21, 2017

Walk #3: Anheuser-Busch Beer Depot

Address: 1207-1215 Jones Street

Information: Anheuser-Busch Beer Depot

Lunch: Bento Box #2

Destination Review: This is a very cool old building, one that I’ve noticed before in the Old Market. It was built way back in 1887 as part of a much larger complex. Now it houses offices.

Almost the whole building is beautifully covered in ivy.

The was lots of great brickwork to photograph.

Streetcar tracks still exist in Omaha.

And this landmark kindly provided me with a picnic table on which to have my lunch.

The Walk: I walked up to Cubby’s to get a drink to go with my lunch, then continued around the block. I discovered that the Fairmont Antique Mall now has a soda fountain. but I resisted the temptation to stop there. Congratulate me.

The Lunch: One sentence is all it takes, really: hummus makes everything taste better. The chicken nuggets were a little dry, but that was solved by the hummus (see first sentence). The homemade pizza crust slices ended up tasting a lot like a pita, which hummus made taste better (again, see first sentence). Later on in the week, my husband gobbled up the leftover chicken nuggets, and I finished up the rest of the hummus with crackers. I really like hummus.

Lunch Ingredient Deals

Baby Carrots: These were on sale at Aldi for 69¢ for a one pound bag. Subtract a 25¢ Allrecipes rebate and a 10¢ MobiSave rebate and they ended up being 34¢.

Cayenne Pepper: Gold Emblem Cayenne Pepper was $1 at CVS minus a 25¢ Allrecipes rebate, making it 75¢.

Eggs: An 18 ct. carton of Hy-Vee Eggs was 59¢ at Hy-Vee with the Fuel Saver + Perks card.

Garlic Powder: A big bottle for a buck at Hy-Vee.

Olive Oil: Got an 8.5 oz. bottle of Gem Extra Virgin Olive Oil at Walmart for $1.74. Take off a 50¢ Allrecipes rebate on olive oil and a 25¢ Ibotta rebate on any item and it was 99¢.

Paprika: $1 for a big bottle at Dollar Tree.

Pepper: A can of Spice Time Pepper is $1 at Dollar Tree.

Red Bell Pepper: On sale for 88¢ at Fresh Thyme.

Salt: I'm still using the Morton Salt I got for free with a Saving Star rebate, back when they used to do Friday Freebies.

Turmeric: Tone’s Mini Spices are always 99¢ at Fareway.

Artwork: Embellished Frame

No comments:

Post a Comment

Walk #26: I Saw a Really Cool House with a Tower Across the Street from the Charles Storz House

Address: 1901 Wirt Street Information: Charles Storz House Lunch: Bento Box #10 Destination Review: This is another big, old house. ...