Sunday, May 28, 2017

Walk #4: The Process of Falling Near the Aquila Court Building

Address: 1615 Howard Street

Information: Magnolia Hotel

Lunch: Bento Box #10

Destination Review: This beautiful old building is now a luxury hotel, the Magnolia.

I walked right in, and again, nobody seemed to care that I was there taking pictures. So I got a lot of good ones. There’s a lot of beauty in this place.

There is an interior courtyard here which is quite beautiful.

The best part of it is a beautiful fountain with multicolored tiles in the bottom.

At the top of the stairs in the back, you get a good view of the Flatiron Building, which I'm sure I’ll be visiting at some point.

It wasn’t until I had been there awhile that I remembered that I attended an art therapy professional continuing education course there a couple of years ago.

The Walk: I walked around the building, essentially, but it’s big, so I got in lots of steps. That would be it, but I must tell you about the fall I took after tripping over a crack in the sidewalk. I went flying, and my iPad also went flying out of my hand, and it landed hard face down on the sidewalk. So did I. Fortunately, I only ended up with a few scrapes on my legs, and my iPad now has scratches and cracks on its screen, but it still works. Kudos to Apple for making a tough product.

It wasn’t until I got home that I discovered something amazing. My iPad had been in camera mode when it went flying, and somehow it automatically took no less than 200 pictures (you heard that right—200!) during the 5 or 10 seconds it went flying through the air. Here’s a small sample of them:

I will make these into a slideshow called "The Process of Falling.”

The Lunch: There was a nice set of benches near where I parked, but unfortunately, it had been drizzling all day and they were soaking wet. So I had to eat lunch in my car again.

The refried beans were hardly the "Best Ever”, but they were OK. Cheese quesadillas are OK, but better when they’re warm. The best part was the trail mix, which I made by mixing a cashew snack mix I got at Dollar Tree with a package of peanut butter M & Ms. Good stuff. And a Dove dark chocolate bar is always delicious.

Lunch Ingredient Deals

Baby Carrots: These were on sale at Aldi for 69¢ for a one pound bag. Subtract a 25¢ Allrecipes rebate and a 10¢ MobiSave rebate and they ended up being 34¢.

Black Beans: Bush’s Best Black Beans are 92¢ at Walmart. A $1 off 2 Checkout 51 rebate made them 2 for 84¢, or 42¢ each.

Cumin: A big bottle of Hy-Vee Ground Cumin was on sale for $1 at Hy-Vee.

Dark Chocolate: A Dove Dark Chocolate Bar is 99¢ at Target.

Garlic: A 3-pack of garlic bulbs is 99¢ at Aldi, or 33¢ each.

Habanero Chile: 3¢ at Hy-Vee! A single chile weighs hardly anything.

Onion: A yellow onion was 68¢ at Fresh Thyme, minus a 30¢ Allrecipes rebate, making it 38¢.

Pepper: A can of Spice Time Ground Black Pepper is $1 at Dollar Tree.

Salsa: Pace Salsa was on sale for 2 for $3 at Walgreens, minus a 50¢/2 coupon from campbells.com, making them 2 for $2, or $1 each.

Salt: I'm still using the Morton Salt I got for free with a Saving Star rebate, back when they used to do Friday Freebies.

Trail Mix: The cashew snack mix was $1 at Dollar Tree. A theater box of Peanut Butter M & Ms was on clearance at Baker’s for 49¢.

Artwork: Embellished Frame

No comments:

Post a Comment

Walk #26: I Saw a Really Cool House with a Tower Across the Street from the Charles Storz House

Address: 1901 Wirt Street Information: Charles Storz House Lunch: Bento Box #10 Destination Review: This is another big, old house. ...