Monday, May 8, 2017

Walk #1: Ackerhurst Dairy Barn

Address: 15220 Military Road

Information: Ackerhurst Dairy Barn

Lunch: Bento Box #11

Destination Review: This is a very big barn. Unfortunately, it was under construction when I arrived. Fortunately, the construction workers didn’t seem to care that I was wandering around taking pictures. All the doors were open, so I got a few peeks inside, but there were no lights on, so it was too dark to take pictures. I did get some pictures of the outside of the barn, as well as an old tractor and some other things I discovered in the backyard.

The Walk: I walked all the way around the barn and also around the barn’s backyard. I also climbed one flight of stairs. Hopefully, one of these days I’ll figure out how to get the Health app on my iPod to count my steps.

Lunch Review: There was no place to sit and have lunch, so I had to do it in my car. Since my car is a mess inside, I didn’t take any pictures of the lunch. The pasta salad was OK, though I wish the dip was creamier. Raw pepper strips and cucumber slices were your basic raw vegetables. I made the chocolate peanut butter bite with Skippy, rather than grinding my own, which made the mixture the consistency of peanut butter, rather than dough. Time in the freezer firmed them up a bit, but by the time I came to eat one, I had to dip it up with my fingers. It tasted pretty good, though. Next time, I may add some Jif Peanut Powder to the mixture to firm it up.

Lunch Ingredient Deals

Cucumber: On sale for 79¢ at Fresh Thyme minus a 25¢ Allrecipes rebate = 54¢

Feta Cheese: You can get small packages of this for a buck at Dollar Tree.

Garlic: Got a 3-bulb pack for 99¢ at Aldi, 33¢ per bulb.

Greek Yogurt: I had a rain check at Hy-Vee that made Siggi’s Yogurt Cups $1 each. Combined with a $1 off 2 coupon from Siggi's Dairy, they were 50¢ each.

Olive Oil: Got an 8.5 oz. bottle of Gem Extra Virgin Olive Oil at Walmart for $1.74. Take off a 50¢ Allrecipes rebate on olive oil and a 25¢ Ibotta rebate on any item and it was 99¢

Pasta: Some time ago I got some packages of Allegro Veggie Pasta for 50¢ at Family Fare, a clearance price in the Dollar Zone

Peanut Butter: Skippy 16 oz. jars were on sale for 98¢ at Hy-Vee. Combined with a 55¢ off 2 jars coupon from peanutbutter.com and I got 2 for $1.41, or 71¢ per jar.

Red Pepper Flakes: Got a big jar of these at Dollar Tree for a buck.

Sun-Dried Tomatoes: I found these at Dollar Tree!

Vanilla Extract: This is occasionally available at Dollar Tree.

Yellow Bell Pepper: A 3-pack of red, yellow & orange bell peppers was on sale at Aldi for $1.69. Take off a 20¢ Allrecipes rebate and they were $1.49, or 50¢ each.

Zucchini: 99¢ lb. at Fresh Thyme. One zucchini was 36¢, and minus a 30¢ Allrecipes rebate minus a 10¢ MobiSave rebate it was free!

Art Project: Embellished Frame

No comments:

Post a Comment

Walk #26: I Saw a Really Cool House with a Tower Across the Street from the Charles Storz House

Address: 1901 Wirt Street Information: Charles Storz House Lunch: Bento Box #10 Destination Review: This is another big, old house. ...