Sunday, August 27, 2017

Walk #16: Broatch Building, Complete with Hot Fudge Sundae

Address: 1209 Harney Street

Information: Broatch Building

Lunch: Bento Box #14

Destination Review: This is another Old Market building, which is very well-preserved and on one of the busier Old Market streets. I couldn’t really get a good picture of it from the front because of where it was placed, but I tried to get a little bit of the side of it.

I did get some good pictures of some of the interesting details of the building.

Inside the building was a jewelry store, as well as a stairway leading to some loft apartments.

The Walk: I walked around the block, and this gave me a chance to take pictures of one of my favorite Old Market buildings, the Baum Iron building.

Not only does this building have beautiful old details, but they’ve preserved their awesome painted sign on the side.

I once did an art piece based on that sign back in the 80s. It still looks exactly the same today. Back in the early part of the 20th century, cities were full of those great painted signs. Now all you see of them, if the buildings they were on haven’t been torn down, are faded, ghostlike remains. Except for the Baum Iron sign. It still looks just like it did when it was painted.

The Lunch: I had my lunch over at Hollywood Candy again.

I like salami and crackers. The banana was OK. I didn’t finish the strawberries.

Because it was close to my birthday, I totally ruined the “healthy lunch" idea by getting a hot fudge sundae at the Hollywood Candy soda fountain. Hey, folks, it was my birthday sundae!

It was EXCELLENT, including the delicious chocolate mudslide on the whipped cream.

Lunch Ingredient Deals:

Banana: I got a That’s Smart Banana from Hy-Vee for 13¢. A 25¢ Ibotta rebate on bananas made it better than free.

Strawberries: A 16 oz. package of Driscoll’s Strawberries was $1.98 at Walmart. Subtract a 50¢/1 Driscoll’s Berries coupon I got for doing a survey in the Driscoll's Email Club, a 25¢ Checkout 51 rebate on berries, a 25¢ Ibotta rebate for any item, and a 25¢ Ibotta rebate for strawberries and it ended up 73¢.

Art Project: Embellished Frame

No comments:

Post a Comment

Walk #26: I Saw a Really Cool House with a Tower Across the Street from the Charles Storz House

Address: 1901 Wirt Street Information: Charles Storz House Lunch: Bento Box #10 Destination Review: This is another big, old house. ...