Friday, November 3, 2017

Walk #17: Broomfield Row House, Signed by the Architect

Address: 2502 Lake Street

Information: Broomfield Row House

Lunch: Bento Box #11

Destination Review: J. H. Broomfield was a prominent African-American architect in Omaha. He is also the only architect I’ve ever heard of who signed his work.

The row house is now an apartment house in a very run-down neighborhood, though it does have an inviting porch.

It has some nice brickwork and a great old coal chute.

The Walk: The neighborhood wasn’t too inviting.

Across the street from the row house, though, there was an old, closed-down factory.

It provided many opportunities to photograph some beautiful examples of urban decay, so I walked all around it.

The Lunch: I must say that I’ve gotten so behind on posting these that I don’t really remember this lunch very well. I guess the black bean burgers were OK, the vegetable medley was a lot like the corn salsa I like to make, and the berries were berries. As you can see, I ate lunch in my car.

Lunch Ingredient Deals:

Avocado: I got one for 99¢ at Target. Subtract a 5% off Cartwheel coupon and the 5% off Red Card discount and it was 89¢. Subtract a $1 MobiSave rebate on avocados and it was free.

Black Beans: Bush’s Best Black Beans were 92¢ at Walmart. Subtract 50¢ from a $1 off 2 coupon from the 5-14-17 SmartSource insert and it was 42¢.

Red Bell Pepper: Got one for 88¢ at Fresh Thyme.

Strawberries: Got a container of California Giant Strawberries at Aldi for 99¢.

Tomato: Got one for 34¢ at Fresh Thyme.

Vegetable Broth: A can of Kroger Vegetable Broth was 69¢ at Baker’s.

Art Project: Embellished Frame

No comments:

Post a Comment

Walk #26: I Saw a Really Cool House with a Tower Across the Street from the Charles Storz House

Address: 1901 Wirt Street Information: Charles Storz House Lunch: Bento Box #10 Destination Review: This is another big, old house. ...