Sunday, July 30, 2017

Walk #14: Found an Old, Dark House on the Way to the Brandeis-Millard House

Address: 500 South 38 Street

Information: Brandeis-Millard House

Lunch: Bento Box #2

Destination Review: Can you guess the historical significance of this house? (Hint: It involves a well-known department store and an Omaha suburb, respectively.)

I had to park down the street from it, and on the way to the landmark house, I discovered this disturbing structure, surrounded by a rusted fence.

I’m not exactly saying this place must be haunted, but let’s just say I won’t be going to any will-readings in it anytime soon, especially during a thunderstorm.

OK, this is the house that is the landmark. The trees kind of obscure it in the picture, but it is a very beautiful house. I must say that whoever owns it now is taking very good care of the property. There was much to see and photograph in the yard.

The house itself has many beautiful features, including a delightful gold mailbox.

This window hints that the house is probably just as beautiful on the inside.

The Walk: Seriously, there was no friggin’ place to park in this neighborhood, so I had to park way down the street from the house, requiring a several block walk to get to it. Thanks, Gold Coast Neighborhood, for tricking me into walking. (I said I’d walk; I didn’t say I have to like it.)

The Lunch: I used my own recipe for chicken salad, so that was good. I used the same recipe for sesame steamed green beans as Walk #5, so those were good, too. I love potatoes (must be the German in me), so the roasted potatoes were great. The crackers were good with the chicken salad. I didn’t like the pear at all; it got discarded after the first bite. Didn’t eat much of the strawberries, either. But I enjoyed the chocolate covered cashews. Had to eat lunch in my car again, but a big bin of art supplies provided a handy in-car table.

Lunch Ingredient Deals:

Chopped Walnuts: A package of Pear’s Chopped Walnuts was found at Dollar Tree for a buck.

Cooked Chicken: Kroger Canned Chicken Breast was on sale for $1 at Baker’s.

Green Beans: Got ‘em for 98¢ at Baker’s.

Pear: Got a D’Anjou Pear for 99¢ at Fresh Thyme.

Red Potatoes: These were 43¢ at Hy-Vee minus 10¢ in Fuel Saver rewards minus a 10¢ MobiSave rebate, making them 23¢

Art Project: Embellished Frame

No comments:

Post a Comment

Walk #26: I Saw a Really Cool House with a Tower Across the Street from the Charles Storz House

Address: 1901 Wirt Street Information: Charles Storz House Lunch: Bento Box #10 Destination Review: This is another big, old house. ...